I tend to say jam. Currently I have orange marmalade and blueberry preserves (I used one on each muffinhalf!), but to me it's all jam! I guess there are technical differences:
"jelly" is just the sort of boiled-out and concentrated essence with no fruit pieces in (which makes sense in the case of grapes - who wants pulp and skins?)
"preserves" is much more chock with fruit - the idea is that you're trying to preserve the fruit itself with sugaring and boiling or whatever.
"marmalade" is a way to preserve garbage (such as fruit peels) in the same fashion, and make it palatable by sugaring it up.
I'm actually going through this marmalade like gangbusters! I've never been a marmalade guy, but I'm enjoying it. Normally when I use the term "jam", I'm talking blueberry, strawberry, apricot, blackberry (including your boysens, lingons, marions and olallies) something of that nature.
The loganberry was created accidentally in Santa Cruz, CA by Mr. J.H. Logan, who was trying to cross-breed two kinds of blackberry but planted them next to an old raspberry that flowered itself up and got into the mix.
oop - I hasten to correct myself, the definitions of "jelly", "preserves" and "marmalade" are my own guesses from past impressions! So they're probably dead wrong or off.
I didn't start googling around for facts until the berry section of the post.
Thursday, July 08, 2010
This Is Not A Post. It Is Certainly Not A Post About "Jelly"
Posted by
dogimo
at
2:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment